Thursday, May 1, 2008

It was supposed to be a parable.....

Act 1 Scene 1
Setting: On the way to preschool
Time: late (as usual)

Mommy: You've had so many good teachers at your school, haven't you Sawyer?

Sawyer: Yes, I've even had 2 different ones this year.

Mommy: Do you remember your very first teacher's name?

Sawyer: Yes, it was Mrs. Ostrand. She is sooooooooo nice, except do you remember that time she was mean to me at nap time? I wouldn't be quiet, so she talked mean to me.

ENTER: HEAVENLY ANGELS TO PLACE A HALO OVER MOMMY'S HEAD AS SHE BEGINS TO USE THIS MOMENT TO CONDUCT SPIRITUAL TRAINING

Mommy: Sawyer, she wasn't being "mean" to you. She was disciplining you and correcting you. When people are in authority over us, it is their job to enforce the rules. It may feel mean but it is not, it's actual good for us because it helps us obey. Just like if mommy was speeding down the road and a policeman pulled me over. He wouldn't be "being mean", he would be doing his job to enforce the law.

Act 1 Scene 2
Setting: still in the minivan, pulled over in a McDonald's parking lot, blue lights flashing
Time: 5 minutes later

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over ma'am?

Mommy: Yes, because God always seems to use this comic irony in my life for his divine amusement :) (it was suppposed to be a parable Lord!!!!!)

5 comments:

Christy said...

OK, Stacy, that is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY funny. I'm so terribly sorry to be laughing so hard at your very bummer of an experience. That is just too much though. ( :
I know this isn't encouraging but, I got pulled over once with my kids in the car... Rachel was about 4 or so, and they still talk about it to THIS DAY!!! So, get ready to never forget this one...

Robbins' Nest said...

I haven't laughed so hard since we went to see Baby Mama! If Saw remembers this one when he's older, he'll never let you forget it!

Aubrey said...

That is too funny! So I have to know, did the cop like your response enough to just give you a warning, or did you get a speeding ticket?

Gerri/Mom/Grammy said...

Ok, you didn't tell me about this one. Did it REALLY happen? Did you really get pulled over and did you REALLY tell that to the policeman or "was it just a parable". If it is all true, SOOO much better than the time you and Ben were in the car with me going to N.M. when I got pulled over and I was sobbing telling the officer,"I'm sooo sorry, I'm a Christian and I don't speed are you SURE it said I was going 90? I like your witnessing tool better!!!

Laura said...

Oh Stacey I needed a great laugh! That is priceless! I really love eating that humble pie during those "in your face " moments as a mommy! Thanks for sharing!