Tuesday, May 6, 2008

:)

What "they" (you know the experts who know it all) don't tell you about having babies is that while you are pushing out those precious bundles of joy, 30-75% of your brain cells simultaneously come flying out as well....and just like the baby, they can't put it back in! I often tell people (or mostly to reassure myself) "I used to be really smart" (and yes, mom, I know that this is all due to the fact that you read to us EVERY night before bed ----hey did that recognition qualify as a sweet mother's day gift to you or should I still buy you something???) Anyway,
so, yes, I used to be smart, bright, intelligent, well-read, witty, blah blah blah (see, lack of brain cells) and could always whip out an A+ essay with little to no effort. This little talent of mine was put to the test today as I attempted to fill our Sawyer's kindergarten application form for a "Classical Christian" school. The form is 10 pages long and combines the standard name, address, phone number questions (I did pretty good on those!) to more thought provoking questions such as, "What, in your understanding, makes a Christian school distinctively "Christian"? and "Define in your own words what you believe is a "Classical Education" and the benefits thereof." Remember, this is ten pages long!

So I began my quest to appear as spiritually and academically wise as possible, throwing around phrases like "biblical worldview", "post modernism" "creative, yet structured learning environment" "trivium" "commitment to academic excellence" "in accordance to and founded upon" blah blah blah. So far, so good! Up until this point I'm seeing flashes of my old self, (okay, not flashes, more like a slow fluorescent bulb warming up, but hey!). And then I get to this question "How would you characterize your student's academic ability and level of interest?" Did I mention that Sawyer is 5 and this is a kindergarten application???

So I wrote..."Sawyer has developed an amazing mastery of the English alphabet and numeric system. He has been proficient in cutting and pasting and has never eaten glue".

Okay, I refrained, but by this time I had to have a little comic relief so I wrote "I would say that Sawyer is a quick learner (oh yeah, and a genius---doesn't every parent say that?)" and then to accent my cute little parenthetical side note .....drum roll please.....i drew a smiley face!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH after all the arduous work, the deliberately chosen words, the eloquent phrases, the carefully placed scripture references, I ended it all with a smiley face!

I'll let you know if he gets accepted :) or not :(


I guess I chalk this up to the fact that my name is Stacy....and that people with names like "Stacy" are allowed to draw cute smiley faces and hearts on things if we want. Sorry to all of you Katherine's and Elizabeth's that don't have that freedom!

6 comments:

Dalene said...

Hey...even the Classical Christian Schools like smiley faces! This is a cute post, and I'm SURE he will be accepted. Thanks for the smile. If Stacy's are allowed these... " :) ," What little mark of distinction is "Dalene" allowed? Since most people see that name as the most po-dunk name around, maybe I should just put an "X" where my name should be "wrote."

Kipplyn said...

Stacy, Have I told you how much I love you? :-)

Debbie said...

Becca just introduced me to your blog and wow - such humorous insight. :):):) I look forward to the next entry. So glad you and Becca are friends!

Jonna said...

Love your blogging! You always have great stories so keep 'em coming!

Gerri/Mom/Grammy said...

Hey, Kipplyn MUST have some of her mother in her because what SHE wrote "sounds just like me"! (Except I have to add a little more!! Oh I know my kids, and everyone else who knows me, are saying, "of course you HAD to add a little more!)
"Stacy, have I told you how much I LOVE you AND how thankful I am that you said YES to our son!!?" Our WHOLE family is SO blessed to have you in it!!! What a wonderful "daughter-in-love" you are!!! Happy Mother's Day!!

Marci said...

Loved the story!! Made me :)