Friday, June 13, 2008

33.3 % done....Happy 6th Birthday Sawyer!







Today is June 13th, 2008, and Ben and I are 1/3rd of the way finished raising Sawyer.
How is this possible?
Can we start over?
Can we slow down?
Wait, I don't have enough film in my camera to capture every moment....!!!!

He is 6 years old today, and we have 12 years left before he is "legally" an adult! I only have 12 years left of influence under our roof, 12 years of our "rules", daily routines, etc. Just 12 short years of getting to check in on him in the middle of the night...to sneak in and kiss his sweet forehead and tell him that he is one of my greatest blessings. How is this possible? Have I taken the last 6 years for granted as they have flown by?


We've definitely tried the "trial/error/ask a lot of advice/read a lot of books/ask for God's mercy,grace,and forgiveness" method of parenting, but if who Sawyer is at 6 is any indication of how well we've done so far--we are amazing parents (ha ha ha, Yes, God, I know that all of this is because of who YOU are and what You've done through us and others in his life----thanks a million! You are awesome! Keep it coming!).

6 years ago today my life was changed forever. I became a mommy and Ben and I became a family, and my heart has never been the same since. I have learned more about who God is, His love for us, the sacrifice He made, the joy He takes in us, the desires and hope He has for us, because of my love for Sawyer.

Sawyer is kind and sensitive, funny and outgoing, creative and intelligent, and extremely handsome (what can I say, he takes after me----------oh man, now that is good for a laugh out loud!) Others enjoy being around him and unfortunately, the ladies already love him (his friend Audrey told her mom, "I really like Sawyer" Her mom tried to downplay it and say "yes, Sawyer is a nice friend" and Audrey said wistfully, "I think it's his golden hair, (sigh)" (maybe he takes after Ben in this department after all!!!)

I am so thankful for the last 6 years, and look forward to what the next 12 years will bring. Sawyer, you make me so proud and as I tell you every night "I can't wait to see what God has planned for you----I know it's something amazing!" I'm just glad I get a front row seat!!!

3 comments:

Robbins' Nest said...

That entry brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe how fast he's growing. We are so blessed to know such an AMAZING young boy. Sawyer is so kind to everyone and has such a tender heart. If Grace still wants to marry him in 20 years, we'll be honored to have him as a son-in-law! Happy 6th birthday Sawyer!

The Pomeroy's said...

Happy Birthday, Sawyer!! He's such a handsome little man!! I can't believe how fast 6 years just flashed before our eyes! Let's not talk about them turning 18 anymore!!!!!

Kipplyn said...

Happy Birthday Saw-bones! We love having you around too! You are our "favorite blonde-haired 6 year old!!" I can't wait to see what God has in store for you either! I love you!